Click on photos to turn pages
|Point Park and Hickory Street Bridge
|Warren has a couple of points. The Point is to the right of this
photograph at the end of the Hickory Street Bridge in the middle of the
photo. However, Point Park on Warren's East Side marks the location
at which the Allegheny River and the Conewango Creek meet.
Eventually residents will be able to walk all the way to the Hickory
Street Bridge at Breeze Point Landing without having to contend with
auto traffic. This is one of the most popular places in town to
eat a bag lunch, go fishing, or even launch a canoe.
The present site of Warren, Pennsylvania was first mapped in 1740
following a 1739 French expedition into the Allegheny River
watershed from Chautauqua Lake to the confluence of the
Conewango Creek and the Allegheny River, seen above.
At that time it was an Indian fishing village on a body of water the
Delaware Indians called "beautiful stream." The Senecas still call this
water "Oh-hi-yo" meaning beautiful river. The French agreed and
called it "Belle Riviere."
In 1749 they claimed the area for France which resulted in the French
and Indian War.
Many beautiful churches fill the area.
(Continued on next page)
Springtime at Point Park Just upstream from Crescent
Park, where the Conewango Creek meets the Allegheny
|photo Copyright 2007 by AlleghenyAlmanac.com
and ©Allegheny Almanac unless otherwise noted.